CAMP COOK & SITE STEWARD
- Position Status: Now Hiring
- Type: Seasonal, Spring
The Camp Cook / Site Steward Position provides the opportunity to work with CFI’s outdoor education programs for the 2015 season. They will work in a variety of capacities depending on the week: program/instructor, camp cook and facility upkeep. They will live and work 90% of the time at Professor Valley Field Camp, which is a remote high desert field camp located amidst remarkable red-rock mesas about 25 miles outside Moab, UT. The camp is a 40 acre rustic facility with a yurt, tipis, restrooms and an outdoor kitchen accommodating up to 60 visitors and emphasizing conservation themes. Main job duties would vary by week: may include leading environmental service projects around camp, leading specific educational activities, serving as camp cook or assisting with weekly upkeep and maintenance on-site. The age groups served are primarily middle school students with potential for some elementary, high school and college students. Each group has adult chaperones accompanying students in at least a 1:12 ratio. Also, adult groups use the camp for retreats, workshops, and service projects. When not at camp, the Camp Cook/Site Steward will assist with river trip shuttles, and logistics at our office and warehouse in Moab.
This job includes a wide variety of skills and duties with some weekend work. For example, the duties and opportunities may include any of the following, depending on program needs and scheduling:
- Perform invasive species removal and trail/fence service projects at Field Camp as part of regular camp maintenance (tools and training provided). Implement new service projects for students and adults.
- Food shopping and packing for trips and field camp programs.
- Occasionally staffing a Naturalist Table at community events and Sorrel River Ranch
- A chance to assist in 1 river trip and/or other land based program and observe Environmental Education lessons.
HOUSING / FOOD / TRANSPORT:
Camp Cook / Site Steward will live at Professor Valley Field Camp in a private 8×10 canvas tent with a cot provided. The camp is located 25 miles from Moab, 1 mile off Highway 128 and does not have reliable cell phone coverage. Camp Cook / Site Steward must be comfortable living alone for much of the time, and should consider the Field Camp as home-base. Other staff may be on-site about 50% of the time, guest policies apply, and couple housing is not available. No pets are allowed. Meals are provided during overnight training and programs; otherwise Camp Cook / Site Steward provides own food and may use cooking facilities on-site. There are 2 restrooms at the camp but no showers. Bunkhouse and office in town can be used for “real” showers and breaks, to store extra gear, and for computer/internet access. Camp Cook / Site Steward needs to provide own transportation to Moab. A vehicle is not required for CFI job duties, but will provide getting to town on free time and in exploring nearby National Parks and outdoor recreation opportunities. Moab is famous for hiking, biking, river running and climbing!
Pay rate TBD, dependent on actual duties performed and experience.
- Must have college degree in related field.
- Must have previous work experience with children and teens.
- Must have demonstrated flexibility, good communication, and leadership skills among peers and co-workers.
- Prefer experience with hand/trail tools, trail building.
- Prefer chainsaw certification.
- Prefer previous experience with outfitting, logistics support, and/or food service.
- Must be able to drive automatic 15 passenger vans with loaded boat trailer and 4Wdrive manual transmission truck (some training on site provided).
- Must be non-smoker due to role modeling for children. Alcohol consumption is not allowed when youth groups are on site.
- Must enjoy physical work/manual labor, demonstrate initiative in solving problems, be able to handle tools with care and work independently once trained.
Additional requirements prior to start date:
- 21 years old by the start date to be on CFI insurance
- Proof of social security number
- CPR Certification: Current, not to expire during term of work.
- Advanced First Aid Certification: 40 hours (or more), CURRENT, not to expire during term of work.
- Driver’s License and Motor Vehicle Report: submit copies from your home state DMV, showing good driving record for last 3 years, current report, and current license.
- DOT medical exam: current within two years.
Applicants may visit the CFI website to see images of Professor Valley Field Camp and other CFI programs. Please review the employment section which lists additional details.
To apply, please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please no drop-ins or phone calls as we are busy with clients!)
- cover letter
- 3 References: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year)
- declare any felony conviction
- copies of First Aid/CPR cards (current through October of 2015)
Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.