AmeriCorps VISTA Position – Recruitment Coordinator
- Position Status: Now Hiring
- Type: 12 month, full time
- Note: Apply now for August 2015.
Post college program that helps pay your student loans – The Americorps VISTA position is full-time for 12 months in Moab, Utah. Apply for 2015 after May 1.
Position starts August, with attending national VISTA training session Aug 2-4 (travel provided.) Work in Moab to start August 12. This is a 12 month full time position. This site is one of a dozen organizations hosting VISTAs on a joint three year grant.
Canyonlands Field Institute is a 501 (c) 3 not for profit environmental education organization founded in 1984 and headquartered in Moab, Utah. CFI conducts field trips and service learning projects in the Canyonlands region, including nearby Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, forests, San Juan and the Colorado Rivers. Our primary service is educating youth in the life and earth sciences, math, cultural heritage and natural resources related to the Colorado Plateau region.
The CFI VISTA Recruitment Coordinator position is aimed at increasing participation in our programs by regional rural and Indian Reservation youth and to build CFI capacity through systems improvement and development resources. Our VISTA position helps to reduce poverty by improving academic performance in history and STEM ( science, technology, engineering and math) and providing mentoring for jobs in natural resources and tourism.
VISTA will increase CFI’s outreach capacity through developing improved marketing plans for this target audience, improve marketing materials, implement recruitment activities, develop metrics to track progress and improve visuals and text to support grant applications.
The Coordinator will work with CFI’s Executive Director and board to raise funds for field trip scholarships and increase volunteer participation.
Member will develop collaborations with other Moab non-profits where mission and projects may overlap.
The Member will work on a set schedule usually 5 days week at our CFI office headquarters several miles south of town. A desk and computer are provided. Member will help with general public phone and walk in contacts, help implement and improve online client information and reservation systems.
During the March-October field season, the Member will work Thursday-Mondays with Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. Winter months will be week day schedule with winter overall fewer hours and spring and fall longer. Office will average 35 week with field days and special event days longer. The Member will be involved approximately 15-20 days of the year observing and assisting school and donor field programs to see the mission at work and to gain visuals and testamonials for recruitment and fundraising work. The member must be able to be away from home and camp out overnight upon occasion (sleeping gear and tent can be provided.) The Member must be physically fit and able to lift 30 pounds. Travel may be required upon occasion to nearby cities with CFI vehicle provided or mileage reimbursed. CFI vehicles are both automatic and manual transmission; training will be provided. VISTA must complete minimum of 1 day first aid and CPR prior to arrival at work. A clean driving record the past five years is required and Motor Vehicle Record from your state must be submitted with your application or emailed separately to CFI.
The work generally includes about 30% planning/administrative tasks, 30% creative and technical writing, 20% analytical and critical thinking, 10% travel to nearby communities or public events, and 10% physical work.
A personal vehicle will be required to reach the CFI office from town and to explore many areas of interest nearby. There is seasonal public ground transportation to Moab from Salt Lake City. Moab varies in culture, arts and entertainment by “season” i.e. very active from March through October and more quiet in the winter.
Moab draws many young people from all over the country for seasonal work. The VISTA position, being year-round, provides a 4-season experience in an exquisite setting, and extensive outdoor recreation opportunities. Low cost housing options are usually available networking with other VISTA’s in Moab; costs can run $400 month and up depending if shared or own quarters. Limited affordable/subsidized apartments are available, based on income, application and wait period required. See more about living in Moab in our employment section of the CFI website; final applicants will have a chance to talk with our current VISTA member.
From past CFI VISTA member, Hannah Boone
“ Thank you for your mentoring, friendship, and generosity this year. I had an incredible experience working at CFI – I learned invaluable skills and lessons in business and on profit management. I learned things about myself, my career potential and what it means to be working for positive change.
I also built unforgettable relationships with the people I met through this job. Thank you for being a supportive supervisor and mentor, and guiding me towards those realizations. I am sad to be leaving CFI today but will treasure my time for the rest of my life. I will be back!”
- Become familiar with the mission and programs of CFI.
- Must have previous work experience in office setting, have strong customer service, project management, and written communication skills. For this Recruitment Coordinator position, an outgoing personality and previous sales experience is helpful. Must be computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access), use of internet, Google drive, familiarity with QuickBooks helpful.
- Must be able to relocate and live in Moab, Utah, a rural, small town (population approximately 7000) and enjoy outdoor activities in free time. This job is NOT open to Member telecommuting.
- At least two years of work experience in either: customer service/sales, public relations, outdoor education, community or event organizing
- At least two years of college completed.
- Minimum age is 21 due to vehicle insurance requirements.
- Clean driving record for at least 5 years including no DUI (must submit Motor Vehicle Report with application.)
- Pass Educator fingerprint clearance to work with children
- First aid and CPR (“basic” or “community” 1 day) minimum certification prior to start date.
- Able to go on CFI day or overnight programs to observe or travel out of town for school visits, conference or other duties.
- Must provide own housing and food; provided if on CFI overnight program or travel status
- Standard VISTA living allowance of $928/month (taxed) paid bi-monthly via direct deposit.
- Training provided at VISTA regional centers prior to term and participation in Martin Luther King National Day of Service.
- End of term completion award choice of $5550 education voucher (apply to current student loan or save for future education) or cash award of $1500.
- Child care assistance depending on household size and income
- Relocation assistance
- 10 vacation/personal leave days and 10 sick leave days allowed in 12 month period with no personal days used in last 30 days of service unless emergency. Additional CFI CFI holiday/breaks (some but not all federal holidays)
- Commitment is for one year; renewal for another term may be considered. Shorter term of service not allowed. Term is based on 2080 hours (40 hour week x 52 weeks, with leave and holidays applied to this total.)
To apply, please visit www.americorps.gov and search for VISTA, Utah, Canyonlands Field Institute. Applications will be forwarded to our office; final applicants selected for telephone interviews.
- cover letter
- 3 references: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license (SEND DIRECTLY TO CFI, not through VISTA website)
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year) (SEND DIRECTLY TO CFI, not through VISTA website.)
- declare any felony conviction
- Copy of First Aid/CPR cards (current) or if enrolled, proof of enrollment in course to be completed prior to your arrival.
Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.