AmeriCorps VISTA Position
- Position status: Filled
- Type: 12 month, full time
- Note: Position to begin in late August
Post college program that helps pay your student loans – The Americorps VISTA position is full-time for 12 months in Moab, Utah. Apply for 2015 after May 1.
Position starts late August after attending national VISTA training session. This is a 12 month full time position.
Canyonlands Field Institute is a 501 (c) 3 not for profit environmental education organization founded in 1984 and headquartered in Moab, Utah. CFI conducts field trips and service learning projects in the Canyonlands region, including nearby Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, forests, San Juan and the Colorado Rivers. Our primary service is educating youth in the life and earth sciences, math, cultural heritage and natural resources related to the Colorado Plateau region.
The VISTA goals are aimed at regional rural and Indian Reservation youth, with an aim to improve academic performance in science and math and provide mentoring for technical and professional jobs in mining, natural resources and tourism.
VISTA will improve our school recruitment, raise funds for field trip scholarships, develop restoration and service projects at a new site, and increase volunteer participation. It is a post college program that will help you gain valuable workplace skills in a beautiful environment.
Projects over the year will include donor cultivation events, donor appeals (online and print), grant research and writing, data base record keeping, school recruitment to include bulk mail, internet, in person travel to schools and attending a science teacher conference. Member will develop collaborations with other Moab non-profits where mission and projects may overlap.
The Member will work on a set schedule usually 5 days week at our CFI office headquarters several miles south of town. A desk and computer are provided. Member will help with general public phone and walk in contacts. During the March-October field season, the Member will work Thursday-Mondays with Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. Winter months will be Monday-Friday. Office will average 35 week with field days and special event days longer. The Member will be involved approximately 15-20 days of the year observing and assisting school and donor field programs to prepare for recruitment, grant writing, manual writing and related support work. The Member must be physically fit and able to lift 30 pounds. Travel may be required upon occasion to nearby cities with CFI vehicle provided or mileage reimbursed. CFI vehicles are both automatic and manual transmission. VISTA must complete minimum of 1 day first aid and CPR prior to arrival at work. A clean driving record the past five years is required and Motor Vehicle Record from your state must be submitted with your application or emailed separately to CFI.
The work generally includes about 30% planning/administrative tasks, 30% creative and technical writing, 20% analytical and critical thinking, 10% travel to nearby communities or public events, and 10% physical work.
A personal vehicle will be required to reach the CFI office from town and to explore many areas of interest nearby. There is no public ground transportation to Moab currently. Moab varies in culture, arts and entertainment by “season” i.e. very active from March through October and more quiet in the winter.
Moab draws many young people from all over the country for seasonal work. The VISTA position, being year-round, provides a 4-season experience in an exquisite setting.
From past CFI VISTA member, Hannah Boone
“ Thank you for your mentoring, friendship, and generosity this year. I had an incredible experience working at CFI – I learned invaluable skills and lessons in business and on profit management. I learned things about myself, my career potential and what it means to be working for positive change. I
I also built unforgettable relationships with the people I met through this job. Thank you for being a supportive supervisor and mentor, and guiding me towards those realizations. I am sad to be leaving CFI today but will treasure my time for the rest of my life. I will be back!”
- Become familiar with the mission and programs of CFI.
- Must have previous work experience in office setting, have strong customer service, project management, and written communication skills.Must be computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access); familiarity with QuickBooks helpful.
- Must be able to relocate and live in Moab, Utah, a rural, small town (population approximately 7000) and enjoy outdoor activities in free time. This job is NOT open to Member telecommuting.
- At least two years of work experience in either: business, outdoor education, community organizing or public relations
- At least two years of college completed.
- Minimum age is 21 due to vehicle insurance requirements.
- Clean driving record for at least 3 years including no DUI (must submit Motor Vehicle Report with application.)
- Pass Educator fingerprint clearance
- First aid and CPR (community 8hr minimum) certification prior to start date.
- Able to go on CFI day or overnight programs to observe or travel out of town for school visits, conference or other duties.
- Must provide own housing and food; provided if on CFI overnight program or travel status
- Standard VISTA living allowance of $928/month (taxed) paid bi-monthly via direct deposit.
- Training provided at VISTA regional centers prior to term and participation in Martin Luther King National Day of Service.
- End of term completion award choice of $5550 education voucher (apply to current student loan or save for future education) or cash award of $1500.
- Child care assistance depending on household size and income
- Relocation assistance
- 10 vacation/personal leave days and 10 sick leave days allowed in 12 month period with no personal days used in last 30 days of service unless emergency. Additional CFI CFI holiday/breaks (some but not all federal holidays)
- Commitment is for one year; renewal for another term may be considered. Shorter term of service not allowed. Term is based on 2080 hours (40 hour week x 52 weeks, with leave and holidays applied to this total.)
To apply, please visit www.americorps.gov after May 1, 2015 and search for VISTA, Utah, Canyonlands Field Institute. Applications will be forwarded to our office; final applicants selected for telephone interviews.
- cover letter
- 3 references: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license (SEND DIRECTLY TO CFI, not through VISTA website
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year) (SEND DIRECTLY TO CFI, not through VISTA website.)
- declare any felony conviction
- Required min of 8 hour first aid, send copy of First Aid/CPR cards (current) or if enrolled, proof of enrollment in course to be completed prior to your arrival.
Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.