Camp Cook – Camp Assistant
- Position status: Now Hiring
- Type: HIRING NOW FOR September and October
- Note: Dates for spring: late March through mid-June
The Camp Cook / Assistant position provides the opportunity to work with CFI’s outdoor education programs for the 2016 season. They will work in a variety of capacities depending on the programming at the time: camp cook, facility upkeep, and assisting Naturalist/Guides with instruction and programs. They will live and work 90% of the time at Professor Valley Field Camp, which is a remote high desert field camp located amidst remarkable red-rock mesas about 25 miles outside Moab, UT. The camp is a 40 acre rustic facility with a yurt, tipis, restrooms and an outdoor kitchen accommodating up to 60 visitors and emphasizing conservation themes. Main job duties would vary by week and may include: serving as primary camp cook, shopping and commissary upkeep, upkeep and maintenance on-site, leading environmental service projects around camp, and assisting (or leading) educational activities. The age groups served are primarily middle school students with potential for some elementary, high school and college students. Each group has adult chaperones accompanying students in at least a 1:12 ratio. Also, adult groups use the camp for retreats, workshops, and service projects. When not at camp, the Camp Cook/Site Steward may assist with river trip shuttles, and logistics at our office and warehouse in Moab.
This job includes a wide variety of skills and duties with some weekend work. For example, the duties and opportunities may include any of the following, depending on program needs and scheduling:
- Using established menus, do food shopping and packing for Outdoor Science School and adult retreats at rustic Field Camp.
- Lead cook with intern, staff and student helpers, mostly on M-F schedule
- A chance to assist in 1 river trip and/or other land based program and assist with occassional Environmental Education lessons.
- Lead short service project with groups on sites once a week (permaculture, trails, invasives removal, fence repair. (Tools and training provided).
- During weeks with no groups, implement additional site steward monitoring, restoration and maintenance projects.
HOUSING / FOOD / TRANSPORT:
Camp Cook / Assistant will live at Professor Valley Field Camp in a private 8×10 canvas wall tent with a cot provided. (If he or she is a Moab or Castle Valley resident, the option to commute is available). The camp is located 25 miles from Moab, 1 mile off Highway 128 and does not have reliable cell phone coverage. Applicant must be comfortable living alone for much of the time, and should consider the Field Camp as home-base. Other staff may be on-site about 50% of the time, guest policies apply, and couples housing is not available. No pets are allowed. Meals are provided during overnight training and programs; otherwise Camp Cook / Assistant provides own food and may use cooking facilities on-site. There are 2 restrooms at the camp but no showers. Bunkhouse and office in town can be used for “real” showers and breaks, to store extra gear, and for computer/internet access. Camp Cook / Assistant needs to provide own transportation to Moab. A vehicle is not required for CFI job duties, but a personal vehicle will help with getting to town on free time and in exploring nearby National Parks and outdoor recreation opportunities. Moab is famous for hiking, biking, river running and climbing!
Pay rate TBD, dependent on actual duties performed and experience.
- Must have previous work experience with children and teens.
- Must have previous commercial food service experience.
- Must have demonstrated flexibility, good communication, and leadership skills among peers and co-workers.
- Prefer experience with hand/trail tools, trail building.
- Prefer previous experience with outfitting, camp operations, logistics.
- Must be able to drive automatic 15 passenger vans with loaded boat trailer and 4Wdrive manual transmission truck (some training on site will be provided).
- Must be non-smoker due to role modeling for children. Alcohol consumption is not allowed when youth groups are on site.
- Must enjoy physical work/manual labor, demonstrate initiative in solving problems, be able to handle tools with care and work independently once trained.
Additional requirements prior to start date:
- 21 years old by the start date to be on CFI insurance
- Proof of social security number
- CPR Certification: Current, not to expire during term of work.
- Basic/Community First Aid (one day course) or higher certification, CURRENT, not to expire during term of work.
- Driver’s License and Motor Vehicle Report: submit copies from your home state DMV, showing good driving record for last 3 years, current report, and current license.
- DOT medical exam: current within two years.
Applicants may visit the CFI website to see images of Professor Valley Field Camp and other CFI programs. Please review the employment section which lists additional details.
To apply, please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please no drop-ins or phone calls as we are busy with clients!)
- cover letter
- 3 References: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year) PLEASE SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
- declare any felony conviction
- copies of First Aid/CPR cards (current through season of work. ) PLEASE SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION.
- Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.