- Position status: Now Hiring
Live and work at our Professor Valley Field Camp (“PVFC”), providing healthy and nutritious meals for our students and staff during our 2019 field season. Be a part of CFI’s mission to provide quality outdoor education on the Colorado Plateau, to inspire care of wild places and renew the human spirit.
PVFC is a rustic high desert field camp, where we provide high quality outdoor/experiential education for student groups on multi-day programs. The Camp Cook will act as the primary/head cook during these programs. The kitchen is outdoor-style, similar to a river outfitting kitchen, but with running water. Work with established menus and meal plans. Students at the camp are primarily middle-school aged, but we also host elementary to college age groups, as well as adult retreats and programs.
Other duties/responsibilities/opportunities of the job may include: shopping and packing food for programs (working with the Food Service Manager), developing & improving menus and meals, light maintenance and service work around the facility, working with and assisting Instructor/Guides on educational programs, assisting with student service work, and driving shuttles. You may also have a chance to work on one or more river trips, and/or other land-based program.
Housing at the facility will be provided in the form of a canvas wall tent or yurt (with a cot). (Note that if applicant is a resident of Moab or Castle Valley, the option to commute is available). The camp is located in a semi-remote setting about 25 miles from Moab. Cell phone coverage is minimal, and there is no internet service. There are bathrooms at the facility, but no showers (showers, internet, other amenities will be available in town). Meals are provided during programming (approximately 5 days a week). A personal vehicle is not required for job duties, but it is heavily suggested that applicant has adequate transportation for non-work related times.
Pay rate TBD, dependent on experience. Pay is hourly and exact schedule is subject to actual programming needs. Most programs run Monday-Friday. Job begins in mid-March. Busy seasons are April/May/June and August/September/October. You would be furloughed during July.
- Must have previous commercial food service experience.
- Must have (or obtain) a current, state authorized, Food Handler’s Certification.
- Must have an employment history demonstrating flexibility, good communication, and teamwork skills.
- Must be a non-smoker (note also that alcohol consumption is not allowed when youth groups are on site.
- Prefer previous experience with outfitting, and camp operations.
- Strongly prefer previous work experience with teens and children.
- 21 years of age from start date.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the US (social security number, work visa, etc.)
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO START DATE:
- Basic First Aid & CPR certification – current, not to expire before November 2019.
- Driver’s License – valid and current.
- Motor Vehicle Report (“MVR”) – must show a “clean” driving record, with no major moving violations within the last three years.
- DOT Medical Exam – current with the last two years.
- Note that you will also be required to submit fingerprints to be used for a background check.
Applicants should visit the CFI website (www.cfimoab.org) to see “who we are & what we do”, our mission statement, and images of the facility and our programs.
TO APPLY – please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Cover Letter
- Three references (include name, email, phone). Note that at least two should be employment related.
- A copy of your driver’s license
- Copies of any related certifications & licenses you have (MVR, Food Hander’s, First Aid, etc.)
- Declare any felony convictions
PLEASE NOTE: Eligible candidates will be contacted for interviews after January 1, 2019.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.