Camp Host / Caretaker
- Position status: Now Hiring
- Type: Seasonal, Volunteer
Live and work at our Professor Valley Field Camp (“PVFC”), as a Camp Host & Caretaker during our 2019 field season. Be a part of CFI’s mission to provide quality outdoor education on the Colorado Plateau, to inspire care of wild places and renew the human spirit.
PVFC is a rustic high desert field camp, where we provide high quality outdoor/experiential education for student groups on multi-day programs. The Camp Host/Caretaker will live on site, “keep an eye on the place”, perform basic maintenance/repair/upkeep duties, and help support programming. The facility is a 40-acre property with a riparian stream running through it, and it is located in a semi-remote area about 25 miles outside of Moab, Utah. Students at the camp are primarily middle-school aged, but we also host elementary to college age groups, as well as adult retreats and programs.
The job is for 30 hours/week during our busy months, with time off in July. Duties and responsibilities will vary, but may include: maintaining a security presence on the property, managing both native and non-native plant species, light construction/repair (basic carpentry/plumbing experience a plus), setup and teardown of infrastructure (tipis, tents, etc.), aiding & assisting Instructor/Guides on educational programs, assisting with student service work projects. Driving shuttles will also be part of the job.
Housing at the facility will be provided, as part of the compensation package, in the form of an RV/camper with full water/sewer/electrical hookups. Note that the camp is located in a semi-remote area, cell phone coverage is minimal, and there is no internet service. Pets are not allowed, and this is a strictly non-smoking area. Occupancy begins in March/April and concludes at the end of October.
NOTE that this position is open to either an individual OR a couple. If filled by a couple, another very practical option would be to share this job with that of Camp Cook (see other job listings for that opening).
Pay rate TBD, dependent on experience. Provided housing is considered part of the compensation package. Pay is hourly and exact schedule is subject to actual programming needs, but will average 30 hours/week. Most programs run Monday-Friday, with some weekend retreats. Job begins in mid-March or early April. Busy seasons are April/May/June and August/September/October. You would be furloughed during July.
- Manual labor experience and skills.
- Must have an employment history demonstrating flexibility, good communication, and teamwork skills.
- Must be a non-smoker (note also that alcohol consumption is not allowed when youth groups are on site).
- Prefer previous experience with outfitting, and camp operations.
- Strongly prefer previous work experience with teens and children.
- 21 years of age from start date.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the US (social security number, work visa, etc.)
- Note that general tools will be provided, but having your own considered a plus.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO START DATE:
- Basic First Aid & CPR certification – current, not to expire before November 2019.
- Driver’s License – valid and current.
- Motor Vehicle Report (“MVR”) – must show a “clean” driving record, with no major moving violations within the last three years.
- DOT Medical Exam – current with the last two years.
- Note that you will also be required to submit fingerprints to be used for a background check.
Applicants should visit the CFI website (www.cfimoab.org) to see “who we are & what we do”, our mission statement, and images of the facility and our programs.
TO APPLY – please submit the following to email@example.com :
- Cover Letter
- Three references (include name, email, phone). Note that at least two should be employment related.
- A copy of your driver’s license
- Copies of any related certifications & licenses you have (MVR, Food Hander’s, First Aid, etc.)
- Declare any felony convictions
PLEASE NOTE: Eligible candidates will be contacted for interviews after January 1, 2019. CFI is an equal opportunity employer.