- Position Status: Filled
- Type: Seasonal, half-season
- Note: Position Filled Internship runs early April through mid June.
The Camp Internship provides exposure to a wide range of adult and student field study programs that CFI conducts in the canyon country surrounding Moab UT. Programs take place in National Parks, and on BLM land, State land, and Forest Service land. Our Professor Valley Field Camp is leased from the BLM, and is located about 25 miles outside of Moab, in the red rocks, close to the Colorado River and Professor Creek.
The intern will be mentored by the Field Manager and Trip Leaders to gain experience in field teaching and guiding, logistics, program planning, operational support, and student environmental education programs. CFI programs take on a variety of forms from local day tours in the National Parks, to river trips, to multi-day outdoor school programs. The Intern will be trained to lead half day tours on his/her own for adult and family visitors in the National Parks and surrounding areas. These tours will involve driving vans, leading participants, and hiking short distances for interpretation programs. The intern will be trained in a wide range of topics related to the Colorado Plateau such as natural and cultural history, geology, and regional issues as well as gain skills necessary for safe and effective group management. In addition to these field skills the intern will do work in the warehouse with gear maintenance, office support, and with in-town programs.
- Become familiar with the mission and programs of CFI.
- Be willing to work with a diverse population of clients and show flexibility with assigned tasks.
- Work approximately 22 days per month; hours vary, but average 40 per week Mon.-Fri. with some exceptions
Duties and learning opportunities may include:
- helping Field Camp Cook/Caretaker to cook for field camp programs of 30+ people and to maintain Professor Valley Field Camp facilities
- assisting the Field Manager with special projects in the camp or office setting
- doing routine warehouse/repair/food packing tasks
- conducting half day adult/family weekend tours for visitors in the National Parks
- assisting CFI Naturalist Guides in teaching school environmental education programs for elementary through high school aged groups.
- Intern salary is $100 per week.
- Free housing is available, in exchange for 8 hours of work trade (cleaning/yard work/projects) per month.
The intern will live at Professor Valley Field Camp in a private 8×10 canvas tent with a cot provided. The camp is located 25 miles from Moab, 1 mile off Highway 128 and does not have reliable cell phone coverage. Caretaker must be comfortable living alone for much of the time, and should consider the Field Camp as home-base. Other staff may be on-site about 50% of the time, guest policies apply, and couple housing is not available. No pets are allowed. Meals are provided during overnight training and programs; otherwise Caretaker provides own food and may use cooking facilities on-site. There are rustic showers and latrines at the camp.
Bunkhouse and office in town can be used for “real” showers and breaks, to store extra gear, and for computer/internet access. Caretaker needs to provide own transportation to Moab. A vehicle is not required for CFI job duties, but will provide getting to town on free time and in exploring nearby National Parks and outdoor recreation opportunities. Moab is famous for hiking, biking, river running and climbing!
- Minimum of 8 hour first aid and CPR training.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Good driving record (Motor Vehicle Report required with application.)
- College degree in related field.
- Previous work with students/teaching/interpretation in any setting is preferred.
To apply, please submit to email@example.com (Please no drop-ins or phone calls as we are busy with clients!)
- cover letter
- 3 References: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year)
- declare any felony conviction
- copies of First Aid/CPR cards (current through October of 2012)
Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.