Field Camp Intern
- Position Status: Now Hiring
- Type: Seasonal, spring and Seasonal, fall
- Note: Hiring now for fall
The Field Camp Intern receives exposure to a wide range of adult and student field study programs primarily located at Professor Valley Field Camp. There will be an opportunity to assist with at least one other type of program in one of CFI’s many locations (Arches & Canyonlands National Parks, on the Colorado, San Juan or Green Rivers, in the mountains or Navajo lands). Our Professor Valley Field Camp is on private land, and is located about 25 miles outside of Moab in a spectacular setting among red rock spires, and set against a mountain backdrop. Professor Creek winds through the property inviting the presence of a variety of wildlife and birds. The Colorado River is 15 minutes away.
The intern will gain experience in field camp operations, teaching, logistics, program planning, and student environmental education programs. They will also assist the Camp Cook as necessary. The intern will be trained in a wide range of topics related to the Colorado Plateau such as natural and cultural history, geology, and regional issues as well as gain skills necessary for safe and effective group management. In addition to these field skills the intern will assist with food shopping, camping gear upkeep and office support.
- Become familiar with the mission and programs of CFI.
- Be willing to work with a diverse population of clients and show flexibility with assigned tasks.
- Work approximately 22 days per month; hours vary, but average 40 per week Mon.-Fri. with some exceptions
Duties and learning opportunities may include:
- Helping Field Camp Cook/Steward to cook for field camp programs of 30+ people and to maintain Professor Valley Field Camp facilities
- Assisting the Operations Manager with special projects in the camp or office setting
- Performing routine warehouse/repair/food packing tasks
- Observing and assisting experienced CFI Naturalist Guides in teaching school environmental education programs for elementary through high school aged groups.
BENEFITS – HOUSING/PAY:
- Intern salary is $400 stipend per month.
- Free “tent housing at camp” and access to intown shower and kitchen for days off, in exchange for 8 hours of work trade (cleaning/yard work/projects) per month.
The intern will live at Professor Valley Field Camp in a private 8×10 canvas tent with a cot provided. The camp is located 25 miles from Moab, 1 mile off Highway 128 and does not have reliable cell phone coverage. Candidate must be comfortable living alone for much of the time, and should consider the Field Camp as home-base. Other staff may be on-site about 50% of the time, guest policies apply, and couple housing is not available. No pets are allowed. Meals are provided during overnight training and programs; otherwise intern provides own food and may use cooking facilities on-site. There are bathroom facilities (and only simple solar showers) at the camp.
Bunkhouse and office in town can be used for “real” showers and breaks, to store extra gear, and for computer/internet access. Intern needs to provide own transportation to Moab. A vehicle is not required for CFI job duties, but having one will allow getting to town on free time and for exploring nearby National Parks and outdoor recreation opportunities. Moab is famous for hiking, biking, river running and climbing!
- Minimum of 1 day first aid and CPR training.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Good driving record (Motor Vehicle Report required with application.)
- Utah Food Handler’s certificate obtained within 2 weeks of job start (CFI can cover the cost)
- Some college or related technical training in related field.
- Previous work with students/teaching/interpretation in any setting is preferred.
To apply, please submit to email@example.com (Please no drop-ins or phone calls as we are busy with clients!)
- cover letter
- 3 References: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year)
- declare any felony conviction
- copies of First Aid/CPR cards (current through October of 2015)
Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.