Naturalist River and Land Tour Guide – Moab
- Position Status: Dates TBA
- Type: Permanent, full-season
- Note: Accepting Applications We continually accept guest guide resumes for both land based and river programs.
Our field season runs late March through mid-October.
During this season there is a 10 day non paid furlough scheduled late July 2014, and 1 week personal leave at your request and depending on work priorities.) This position is for those with previous CFI experience and current licenses. During the summer break you can visit family, hike in the mountains or do guest guide work locally in Moab.
NOTE: We do not have “summer jobs” due to extensive training in late March and early April that qualifies you to work April through October.
Naturalist- River Guides work primarily with middle and high school field study groups, and a few adult or family trips. Staff will rotate between river and land-based programs (including our 5-day residential field school camp). Naturalist/Guides rotate responsibilities in all aspects of field operations primarily as field instructors in science, history and arts. They will work as licensed Utah river guides. CFI guides take turns in driving, river camp cook, shuttle driver and light maintenance work in the river and camp operations. Experienced staff contribute to curriculum, operation improvements and materials. River stretches range from Class I-III (mostly Class II) on the Colorado, Dolores, Green and San Juan Rivers. Emphasis on experiential/participatory learning, thematic interdisciplinary studies, and fun!! Guides must be available for work during our season; schedules firmed 7 days in advance.
- Minimum age is 21 due to vehicle insurance requirements.
- Minimum first aid training for full guide positions is a 40 hour equivalent to Advanced First Aid (Red Cross Emergency Response, Wilderness Advanced First Aid taught by various providers) and CPR, OR “BETTER” i.e. Wilderness First Responder, EMT, etc. taught by various providers. Pay increases are paid for WFR and above. Please see CFI website for medical training courses we might be offering with national teaching organizations in early spring.
- Must have current Utah river guide licensing and qualify to run Class I white water, and are familiar with our field camp operations, lessons and the stretches of river that we run: Colorado River from Loma, CO to Moab, UT; the San Juan River from Bluff to Clay Hills, and the Green River from Crystal Geyser to Mineral Bottom (Labyrinth Canyon).
Those who are new to CFI are asked to complete the six week Apprenticeship first and would move on to work as Assistant Naturalist-River Guides in their first year. See below for contacting State of Utah Parks and Recreation on guide licenses. Guides must have previously run a stretch of river in order to qualify for fully paid work; opportunities to see new stretches may be provided on scheduled training trips, as a non paid support boat or on own with approved use of CFI equipment.
Lead Naturalist-River Guides are required to complete and submit prior to start date:
- Department of Motor Vehicle Record from state issuing driver license current within two years and valid driver license. Medical exam must be current within two years.
- current CPR and advanced first aid certifications (CHECK THE DATES!).
- proof of social security number
- Utah River Guide current license.
A pay rate is determined for each person each season depending on education, experience with CFI and other similar organizations, certifications, and leadership capability. Pay for guides ranges from $80 to $120 per “field day” (overnight or long “1 day” trips). Guides are paid for rigging, warehouse, office and curriculum work on an hourly basis ($8-$12 hour). Guides are paid on a training rate ($25/day) for training on new stretches of river, trails or lessons. There will be no housing available other than while at Field Camp. Rental housing may be found in town. Please note that the school trips usually do not provide guide gratuities but adult/family trips often do.
To apply, please submit to email@example.com (Please no drop-ins or phone calls as we are busy with clients!)
- cover letter
- 3 References: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year)
- declare any felony conviction
- copies of First Aid/CPR cards (current through October of 2014)
Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.