Outdoor Education Program Intern
- Position status: Now Hiring
- Type: Seasonal, Three month internships, spring summer and fall.
The Outdoor Education Program Intern will get exposure to a wide range of CFI’s adult and student field study programs in canyon country around Moab, UT. Programs take place in National Parks, and on BLM land, State land, and Forest Service land.
The intern will be mentored by the Operations Manager and Head Naturalist Guide and gain experience in field teaching and guiding, logistics, operational support and program design. CFI programs take on a variety of forms from local day tours in the National Parks, to river trips, to multi-day outdoor school programs. The intern will work both under the direction of Trip Leaders and independently to be trained to lead half day tours on his/her own for adult and family visitors in Arches National Park and Prehistoric culture/rock art tours in canyons near Moab. These tours will involve driving vans, leading participants, and hiking short distances for interpretation programs. The intern will be trained in a wide range of topics related to the Colorado Plateau such as natural and cultural history, geology, and regional issues. The intern will also gain skills necessary for safe and effective group management. In addition to these field skills and duties, the intern should be prepared for learning and doing regular equipment repair, warehouse and commissary/food supply stocking and upkeep. Once trained, intern should be capable of problem solving and working independently. There will be a special project ( research/program development/management) during the internship based on intern interests and organization needs at the time.
“Thank you for everything during my time at CFI. I found the program intern position to be fulfilling in a lot of ways, and I think that CFI’s programs are meaningful, rewarding and fun. Best of luck with your seasons to come!” Gemma Wallace, Program Intern April-July, 2015
- Become familiar with the mission and programs of CFI.
- Be willing to work with a diverse population of clients and show flexibility with assigned tasks.
- Work approximately 22 days per month, hours vary, but average 40 per week Thursday-Monday.
- Duties and learning opportunities may include: observing; conducting half day adult/family weekend tours for visitors in the National Parks; assisting CFI Naturalist Guides in teaching school environmental education programs for elementary through high school aged groups; assisting the Field Manager with special projects in an office setting; doing routine warehouse and gear maintenance/repair; helping with trip logistics like food shopping/packing and shuttle driving.
BENEFITS – HOUSING/PAY:
- Intern stipend $400 per month stipend, paid $200 every pay period.
- Free housing is available, in exchange for 4 hours of work trade (cleaning/yard work/projects) per month. It is a shared co-ed bunkhouse on-site in Moab; includes kitchen/bath. Meals are on your own except while on CFI overnight programs.
- Completion/return travel assistance $100.
Work approximately 22 days per month, 12 weeks, hours vary, but average 40 per week Thursday-Monday.
Three month positions, overlap- April through July, June through August and late August through October/early November.
- Minimum of basic (1 day course) first aid and CPR training.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Good driving record (Motor Vehicle Report required with application).
- College degree in related field.
- Previous work with students/teaching/interpretation in any setting is preferred.
- Knowledge of Colorado Plateau history, geology and ecology is helpful but not required in advance.
To apply, please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please no drop-ins or phone calls as we are busy with clients!)
- cover letter
- 3 References: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- copy of driver’s license
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year)
- declare any felony conviction
- copies of First Aid/CPR cards (current through work contract)
Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.