Senior Naturalist / Guide
- Position status: Filled
- Type: This is a seasonal full time position
- Pay: Pay rate would be a salary of $16,800 for the season (which roughly translates to $12/hour or $120/day rate).
- Schedule: Feb. 20 through Oct 30 (1400 hours), with one week unpaid and one week paid vacation in the summer months.
- Note: Season is Mid-February through the end of October
As a senior naturalist / guide you would work primarily with land-based programs (primarily at our Professor Valley Field Camp), but also would involve some river guiding. Other locations may include Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, the LaSal Mountains, the San Juan Mountains, the Colorado/Green/San Juan Rivers, and various BLM/Forest Service/Tribal lands in and around Grand and San Juan Counties.
Acting as Trip Leader on various land-based experiential education programs, oversight of curriculum, maintenance of field library and teaching supplies, assisting with mentoring/training of incoming Apprentice Guides, assisting Operations with some managerial and administrative tasks, and general “Lead Guide” duties. Normal guide duties including river rafting, outdoor skills, teaching curriculum, driving, field kitchen, repairs/maintenance, rigging/de-rigging, community outreach, etc.
- Working primarily with youth/school groups, but also involved with some adult programs.
- Pay rate would be a salary of $16,800 for the season (which roughly translates to $12/hour or $120/day rate).
- Some training would be included (especially river and curriculum skills).
- No housing provided.
Additional requirements prior to start date:
- 21 years old by the start date to be on CFI insurance
- College degree in related field
- Familiarity with the natural history of the Colorado Plateau (geology/biology/ecology/cultural history-anthropology/etc.)
- Related work history and experience
- Proof of social security number
- Utah River Guide license (CFI can help you earn this)
- WFR first aid certification (or equivalent)
- Driver’s License and Motor Vehicle Report: submit copies from your home state DMV, showing good driving record for last 3 years, current report, and current license.
- DOT medical exam: current within two years.
Applicants may visit the CFI website to see images of Professor Valley Field Camp and other CFI programs. Please review the employment section which lists additional details.
please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please no drop-ins or phone calls as we are busy with clients!)
- cover letter
- 3 References: name, email, phone. At least should be 2 employment-related
- a copy of driver’s license
- motor vehicle report (current within 1 year) PLEASE SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
- declare any felony conviction
- copies of First Aid/CPR cards (current through the season of work) PLEASE SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION.
- Candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer.