A Unique Land-Based Experience for Your School
or Youth Group
- Spectacular Scenery including Fisher Towers and Castleton Tower
- Red rock cliffs
- Perennial stream
- Views of the La Sal Mountains
- Classroom Yurt
- Lakota Style Tipis to sleep in
- Outdoor Learning Adventures to remember!
Professor Valley Field Camp is an ideal location for spring and fall field studies.
This area is highly scenic and often filmed as a set for movies. Our rustic Field Camp is ideal for your group to enjoy a quiet retreat, learn with a CFI Naturalist about desert plants, animals, geology and public lands management, and have time for your own curriculum as well.
Facility and Amenities:
Professor Valley Field Camp is located in a breathtaking setting just 20 miles from Moab and Arches National Park, just off of Hwy 128 on the banks of Professor Creek, and only minutes from the Colorado River. Our field camp can accommodate groups up to 40 plus our CFI staff.
- We provide roomy Lakota-style tipis with cots for sleeping. Participants bring their own sleeping bags, pads, pillows and ground cloths as well as towels and toiletries. Sleeping unit rentals are available.
- We provide healthy, balanced meals, snacks, water, lemonade, coffee, tea with menus that accommodate meat and not-meat eaters alike. For additional dietary concerns, you may bring supplemental foods (storage provided in cook yurt; no adjustment to fees.)
- Culinary water is provided.
- Toilet facilities will be provided.
- Quiet hours are between 10 PM and 7 AM in respect for the neighboring ranch.
- Yurts are cooled in warmer months by low voltage portable swamp coolers.
- Wood stove in the classroom yurt for cooler weeks.
- Enjoy being “unplugged”, and savor nature’s pace and gifts while staying with us. There’s no telephone at the camp and cell coverage is unreliable, but a phone is available telephone at Sorrel River Ranch.
- Classroom which can seat approximately 24 people at tables for severe weather.
- Additional chairs or the campfire circle for 40.
Keep in mind this is “camping”; there is limited outside lighting; bring flashlights and headlamps.
You’ll savor deep silence, awesome views, excellent hiking, and an unbelievable starry night sky far away from city lights!
Our field camp is situated on private land under lease for outdoor education purposes.
CFI Staff Provides:
- Site management and naturalist orientation to the area.
- Evening programs.
- Short, guided nature hikes.
Beyond that, you have time to work with your own group or explore on your own near the camp. Group participants help with a camp service projects and meal preparation and cleanup.
For additional fees you can ADD field trips led by CFI staff, such as a FULL day river trip, hikes to nearby canyons, or a tour of the National Parks.