It can be daunting to try to find a trip that fits every student’s budget. While we try to make our fees as affordable as possible, you may want to do some fundraising activities on your own to reduce the cost of the trip or to help with other costs such as transportation. Here are some fundraising tips for teachers and students to generate funds for your group’s trip:
Grants and Scholarships
There are lots of organizations out there that pay for school field trips and projects. Here are a few places to start, see websites for application instructions.
- Target Field Trip Grants awards up to $700 to fund field trips for k-12 schools. Applications due between noon CST Aug. 1 and 11:59 p.m. CT Oct. 1.
- Action for Healthy Kids offers grants for programs that promote physical activity.
- SYTA Youth Foundation Road Scholarship This scholarship is generally for individuals who cannot afford to pay for a school field trip. Funds can be used to fund entire trips up to $1,000. Applications are due in March.
- ING Unsung Heroes Awards Program offers $2,000 grants to teachers to fund school projects. Applications are due in April
- Walmart Community Grant Program. Walmart offers funds of $250 to $2,500 for community projects. Qualified organizations include but are not exclusive to schools. Talk to a representative at your local Walmart for more information.
- Toshiba America Foundation. Toshiba offers several grants for teachers.
- Do some research to find some local organizations and foundations, as many like to see funds benefit their own community.
Is this your first time applying for a grant? There are lots of resources to help you along with the process. Try a website like edutopia.org for tips.
And finally, we can help! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice on how to approach the process.
Good Old-Fashioned Fundraising
Whether it’s a bake sale, car wash, or selling wreaths door to door, any project helps! Plus you can get your students involved and excited. There are lots of ideas to explore online, try Fundraiser Help.
Many restaurants, stores, and other businesses offer fundraising opportunities for local schools. The following chain restaurants have opportunities, and others in your town probably do as well. See their websites for more information.