Lost World of Range Creek
Camping with Truck Support- Fremont Culture Archaeology and more!
- Where: Western Book Cliffs between Green River and Price, Utah
- When: June 21, 2014 through June 22, 2014
- When: October 04, 2014 through October 05, 2014
- Number of Days/Nights: 2 Days,1 Night - All trips meet Saturday/Sunday
- Time: Morning day 1 through afternoon last day
- Group Size: Minimum 4, maximum 8
- Age Group: Adults and Youth 16 and over (Youth fee same as Adult)
- Deadline for Signup: 1 week prior to trip date in order for names to be submitted to land management agency, University of Utah, for permit.
- Cost per Person: $400 Adults and youth 16+
- Deposit: $150, non-refundable, applies to total due
- Trip meets and ends in Green River, UT
- Call to arrange a custom private trip subject to permit and faculty availability
- Click here to read our cancellation policy.
A Wonder of Preservation
Join us for a rare opportunity to see these prehistoric Fremont rock art and sites in-depth with plenty of time to explore. Two days with vehicle tour, hikes, and camping, evening program, all meals. Located in the Book Cliffs between Green River and Price, Utah, Range Creek canyon has been recently opened to research and restricted vehicle access after careful protection by local ranching family for many years. Small group, comfortable vehicle supported camp, longer trip allows quality time for exploring, hiking, discussion.
- Van & Short hikes from Overnight Base Camp
- There is moderate hiking, up to 2 miles round trip.
CFI Naturalists will help narrate the story of this unique landscape, the people who lived here, how they lived, and why they eventually departed. The trip includes a visit to the ranch homestead, stories about early day settlers as well as information about canyon geology, flora and fauna. We almost always see a "big mammal" of some sort on our trips!
A good pair of binoculars is a must!
This weekend overnight tour allows plenty of time to explore and enjoy the canyon. We'll meet in Green River at the John Wesley Powell Museum 9 a.m. Saturday and see a display with artifacts from the region. Park your vehicle here and travel on with a CFI Naturalist-Guide to enter the Book Cliffs at Horse Canyon. Once there, we'll follow a steep rough road for about an hour, stop for a geology overview at an 8,500’ pass, then drop into Little Horse Canyon and continue on until we reach the locked gate protecting the canyon.
Here, we set up a comfortable camp in lovely meadow under pine trees. By foot, we'll visit a rock art site near the camp and explore part of the canyon this afternoon. After a delicious dinner, we'll learn more about the area's preservation issues and geology. Our tour the next day takes us 14 miles to the Wilcox Ranch homestead and a visit with the University site staff. We'll visit several other sites on our return, depart Range Creek about 3:30, and arrive back at Green River about 5:00 p.m.
Delicious healthy meals are included from dinner through lunch the next day.
There is a four-person minimum to run the trip. CFI will refund payment if the minimum is not met one week before the trip.