Teen River Skills Day CampStart my reservation →
- Where: Colorado River near Moab, Utah
- When: July 01, 2014 through July 03, 2014
- Number of Days/Nights: 3 Days, day camp only
- Time: 8 a.m to 5 p.m for 3 days (no overnight camping)
- Age Group: Entering 7th through 12th grades
- Cost per Person: $200 ($150 for students in Grand County School District)
- Deposit: $25 applies to total due
- 10% Discount for sibling from same family; additional scholarships available for qualifying local families.
- Trip includes: Transportation, lunches, all river equipment, instruction and hiking, games and nature activities.
- Click here to read our cancellation policy.
This exciting teen river skills day camp is a great summer learning experience for teens entering 7th-12th grades. Learn to navigate whitewater rivers through a hands-on rafting and ducky trip with CFI’s experienced Naturalist Guides. In the heat of the summer, spend three awesome days paddling and rowing the classic “Daily” stretch of the Colorado River outside Moab.This is a mild, scenic Class II stretch of river, perfect to learn on! We will include a morning clinic on Stand Up Paddle Boards thanks to outfitter Canyon Voyages, who is helping to sponsor CFI’s summer youth programs.
This trip starts and ends each day at the CFI warehouse in Moab, Utah. All participants help in prepping gear, rigging the boats at the boat ramp, paddling downstream and preparing lunch guide style!
Each day, the group will practice river reading skills and learn how to row a raft or paddle a ducky. Emphasis is placed on basic river safety procedures and river rescue skills. Learn to maneuver different types of boats through exciting rapids, and swim in the river’s milder sections. The SUP practice will be on flatwater near shore. The course also focuses on applying minimum impact techniques and ethics for river travel and exploring the incredible riparian ecology of the desert region on side hikes and beach time. Participants’ personal gear list (basic) will be provided; we can help you as needed.
Schedule for each day:
8:00 A.M. Meet at CFI warehouse (1320 S. Hwy 191 Moab, UT); orientation, training, and depart for river
Morning at River: Safety talk, rigging boats, reading the river, skill practice on the river; snack provided
Afternoons: Lunch provided by CFI; hike and explore the region around the river and its ecology; practice more river running and safety skills in paddle rafts, oar-rig rafts, and duckies
3:30 P.M. Take-out and travel back to CFI; snack provided
4:00 P.M. Clean gear and rig for the next day
5:00 P.M. Ready to depart, families pick up at CFI
Note: CFI needs written permission from a parent if the student will be walking, biking, or driving or getting a ride from someone other than the participant’s parent or guardian after each day trip.
THANKS to our regional donors and especially to Grand County Recreation Special Service District Canyon Voyages Adventure Company for supporting program planning and scholarships.