An immersive river trip down the San Juan River!
Canyonlands Field Institute is celebrating its 10th year of the Native Teen Guide-In-Training Camp! This camp was developed to invest in Native-Centered Teen programming for rising 8th-12th graders through place-based outdoor education, social-emotional learning curriculum, as well as to provide accessible pathways for Native Teens to learn about guiding and natural resource career opportunities.
The Native Teen Guide-In-Training Camp begins at San Island in Bluff, Utah, which launches into an 8 day and 7 night river trip down the San Juan River that stretches through the desert landscapes and canyons of the Diné-Navajo Nation.
This immersive camp helps nurture the healthy development of Native Teens by (re)connecting them with nature through experiences like whitewater rafting, visiting cultural heritage sites, engaging in unplugged camping, and fostering community.
Native Guides & Educators
Camp instructors are all returning Native Guides who share in-depth wilderness and river training experience, knowledge in Indigenous Intergenerational teachings, commitment for culturally relevant environmental education, and passion for this growing native-centered camp. To learn more about our guides, click the NTGIT Educators header at the bottom of the page.
- Experiential Outdoor and place-based education
- Intertribal and intergenerational centered teachings and cultural history
- Whitewater boating, river safety, and first aid skills
- Cooking, tent set up, and camping skills
- Social-Emotional Learning, Leadership, and Team Building
- Play-based enrichment activities, storytelling, and free time
- To come into the power of your captain’s voice
- To nurture physical and mental health through nature immersion
- To enhance Native-based knowledge, history, and culture
- To advance emotional intelligence and foster community
- To grow in self-management and confidence
- To gain outdoor guide professional experience and marketable skills
Bluff, UT and the San Juan River
June 21, 2022 through June 28, 2022
Sand Island Boat Ramp
8 days 7 nights
13 through 17 years old
Cost: $50 per participant