Archaeology & History of San Rafael Swell and Nine Mile Canyon
Lodge Based Archaeology Tour
Join CFI on this new cultural history tour based in Price, Utah. Visit world-famous cultural sites in Nine Mile Canyon and in the newly designated San Rafael Recreation Area with guest archaeologists Ms. Jamie Hollingsworth and Dr. Tim Riley and historian, Mr. Tim Smith.
This is a lodge-based trip with daily excursions in CFI’s 4-wheel drive vehicles. Our program starts with a special back-room tour at the Prehistoric Museum in Price. Our day outings will visit agency approved sites that feature Barrier Canyon, Fremont Culture and Ute rock imagery and occupational sites. We will also check out historic inscriptions that tell the stories of early military, miners, and ranchers.
Physical activity is moderately easy, with most sites close to the vehicles. There will be a few mile-long walks up sandy washes. There will be options to view archaeology sites through spotting scopes or scramble up rocky slopes to get a closer look.
This first year program’s itinerary has been recently approved by the Bureau of Land Management. Visitation to private lands is by permission.
Guest Archaeology Experts
Our network of guest experts are what makes CFI trips stand apart from other outfitters. Jamie Hollingsworth and USU’s Prehistoric Museum Director, Dr. Tim Riley team up to create an unforgettable educational experience. View their biographies below.
Behind the scenes tour
The trip begins with a special tour of at the Prehistoric Museum for valuable background and insights on the history of the area before venturing into the desert the following days. Your Museum entrance fee is included in the seminar cost.
All Inclusive Trip
Let CFI take care of the accommodations, meals, driving, interpretation, and other logistics so you can fully immerse yourself in this unique experience. Three nights hotel stay and all meals starting with dinner the first evening through lunch the last day are included.
Based in Price, UT
May 16, 2023 through May 19, 2023
Minimum: 6, Maximum: 9
Adults and youth 16+
$1790; Member Price: $1705
Three nights at the Best Western Sure Stay Plus hotel (formerly the Ramada Inn) located at 838 Westwood Blvd, Price, Utah
- A $300 per person deposit is required to reserve your spot. Balance of fees are due 30 days prior.
- Fees are based on hotel lodging double occupancy. To request single a room, do so via CFI reservations the supplemental fee is $210 for the trip.
- If you wish to book an additional night pre or post our seminar, contact the hotel local desk phone number is 435-637-8880 and explain you would like to stay in the same room as booked for the CFI group.
- In addition to expert instruction, lodging and field trip transportation, the fee also includes meals starting with dinner the first evening through lunch the last day, the entrance to the USU Prehistoric Museum and a $100 donation to CFI youth and scholarship programs.
- There is an option to travel to and from Moab with the CFI crew with advance notice to the CFI office.
All participants on our adult seminars and on our private trips are required to be fully vaccinated.