Join Canyonlands Field Institute in our first partnership program with Red Rock Arts Festival + Plein Air Moab for a day of painting and exploration on the Colorado River. Jump on board and float with us on the Colorado River and spend the day painting for Plein Air Moab. Our Naturalist-Guides will provide context to this incredible place through interpretive discussions both on and off the rafts.
In the heart of Canyon Country our float from Onion Creek Campground to Rocky Rapid Boat Ramp will float through a magnificent sandstone landscape. Along the way we will have the Fisher Towers and La Sal Mountains as a backdrop to the striking sandstone cliffs exposed from the rivers erosional force.
|6:00 am||Meet at the Moab Arts & Recreation Center|
|Travel to Onion Creek Campground in a CFI van with guides and river gear|
|6:45 am||Arrive at launch for orientation and safety talk|
|Morning||Cross the river over to the Onion Creek river camping area to catch the sunrise light and paint for two hours|
|Enjoy a leisurely float to our next painting location|
|Land at our next destination to paint for another two hours while guides setup brunch|
|Noon||Pack up our supplies and embark back onto the rafts to finish our day|
|Arrive at Rocky Rapid Boat Launch|
|3:00 pm||Return to the Moab Arts & Recreation Center|
Suggested Personal Gear List
Travel light, but travel right!
- Swimsuit or shorts and athletic top for gals
- Rain gear (rain pants and rain jackets ALL seasons, storms come up suddenly)
- Shirt: long sleeve for sun protection
- Pants: long or shorts (appropriate to season & need for warmth or sun protection)
- River shoes: tennis shoes or sandals that can get wet (sandals must have secure heel strap); must wear footwear at all times
- Jacket or warm sweater spring and fall
- Hat or cap, for sun protection (even cowboys and boatmen wear one)
- Camera (we have light duty “river bags” for gear; bring your own high-quality waterproof camera pouch for expensive camera/video equipment please)
- Personal items: protective lip balm, medications, etc.
- Water bottle (1-qt or 1-liter) VERY IMPORTANT! We provide refill water.