Whitewater Academy Camp
Whitewater Academy, is an immersive 4 day, 3 night whitewater rafting trip for teens wanting to learn leadership and whitewater skills. Teens spend four days learning to paddle captain and row an oar boat through Ruby/Horsethief and Westwater Canyons, some of the country’s most thrilling whitewater. CFI’s instructors will coach students to navigate rivers and learn the basics of swift water rescue. The curriculum includes hands-on instruction in leadership, naturalist skills, risk management, and decision making.
Participants develop leadership skills when they support each other, manage their personal protective equipment, or cook a filing meal for their team. The camp also focuses on minimum impact techniques, ethics for river travel, and ecology of the desert region. Teens will have the opportunity to connect to each other and experience the fun of an overnight river trip while developing professional and marketable skills.
No previous whitewater rafting experience is necessary!
- Whitewater rafting
- Camp cooking
- Basic first aid and rescue techniques
- Technical skills education
- Games and free time
- Advanced leadership and group management skills
- Confidence building
- Resume and marketable skills building
- Increased self-management skills
- Positive growth in teamwork and communication
- Heightened risk management and safety awareness
The Colorado River; Ruby Horsethief and Westwater Canyon. From Loma, CO to Cisco, UT.
July 28, 2023 through July 31, 2023
8:30 am on day 1 and 4:30pm on day 4
4 days and 3 nights
Rising 10th, 11th, and 12th graders or ages 15 - 17
$595, and $455 for Grand or San Juan County residents
- If you live in Grand County, Spanish Valley, or La Sal your child could qualify for a scholarship. Check out our summer camp Scholarship Application.
- A $50 deposit is required to reserve a spot.